AlvaMande Hummana...Taro-root in spicy gravy.


This is a delicacy served in a konkani kitchen, with white rice and other vegetable sides.
The gravy is a spicy coconut paste with chillies.

When I thought of blogging this down, one of the first things I did was to try and put down what AlvaMande in english would be. I knew it was a tuber/corm so was it yam?
Google to the rescue. Wikipedia yielded this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taro
Hope this helps introduce this yummy root to you. Here are some images to serve you better.

This here is an easy recipe to follow.
If we were to play a game of favorites, G would win this round hands down. He absolutely loves this aromatic curry and will have an extra bowl just as is, after his meal.


So if you want to try this in your kitchen,
Here's what went into making mine:
3 cups of Taro roots - peeled and cut into manageable pieces.
3/4 cup fresh grated coconut.
5 long dry red chillies-roasted
1/2 tsp tamarind paste
1 tbp coconut oil
1 tspn asafoetida powder (hing)
Salt to taste

How I made it:
In a medium pot, heat the oil, add the asafoetida and pieces of taro root. Add enough water to cover the vegetable and close lid. Simmer over low heat.
Wet grind together the coconut, chillies and tamarind to form a smooth-fine  paste.
Add to pot with salt to taste. Adjust water to bring to required consistency. Cook till done.

Serve hot with fresh white rice and sides.
I have to say, this here, turned out to be another delicious serving of our favorite curry.
Hope you make this for your table.

You can try this with potatoes, any type of yam or other tubers you can think of.
Adjust the chillies as per taste. Also you might choose to boil the roots as is (like you would potatoes) and then cool, peel and cut.
The coconut oil gives this curry its signature aromatic taste.But feel free to substitute with any oil of choice.
Traditionally, the curry is prepared and the coconut oil is added at the end just before switching off and removing from heat. I personally do it the way I described before, cause I have noticed the oil tends to float on top, if I do it the regular way. Especially in cold weather.

So here it is, another recipe from my kitchen to yours.Hope you try this at a meal with loved ones.
Until next time, Bon Appetite.

Leave me a comment, send me a photo of the food you cooked. Tell me a recipe! jotismail@gmail.com
Click here to see the list of spices and powders used in my kitchen!
Sous Chef is now on Facebook!

 
You can also read my non-culinary ramblings here at Musings.
Musings on Facebook.


Comments

  1. I love taro root..glad to find a delicious and different recipe here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you maayeka. This gravy is a basic paste used in a lot of konkani curries. The tempering varies in each. And the vegetable ofcourse. Try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum this looks really tasty and not so difficult. Thank you so much - I will be off to my nearest Farmer's Market :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi, thank you. Glad you want to try it! Let me know, how it turns out!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts