Goli Bajo- Mangalore style fritters.

This weekend we were meeting friends to watch the game. Appetizers were the order of the day. Recipe books, google ...Nothing caught the fancy!Then G suggested Goli bajo!Mangalore style fritters. Delicious and fairly easy to make.My dilemma? I hadn't tried them in a long time! But after some deliberation (more like... should I? shouldn't I?) I rolled up my sleeves. Goli bajo it was gonna be.


Here's what went into it:
1 cup of all purpose flour (maida)
2 tbp chick-pea flour (besan)
1/2 cup yogurt
1/4 cup water
5 green chillies- chopped fine
1 tbp fresh ginger- minced
2 sprig curry leaves- shredded
1 tbp sugar
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of asafoetida (optional)
salt to taste
oil for deep frying

Here's how it was made:
In a big bowl, mix together the yogurt, 1/2 of the water,salt,sugar,soda powder,ginger, curry leaves, asafoetida and chillies.
To this add the besan and flour slowly, so as to form a smooth batter without lumps.
Pour the rest of the water into the mix, adjusting to form a thick batter (slightly thicker than that for pancakes).
Heat the oil in a wok. Drop the batter in small lumps (with spoon or fingers) into the oil. Fry till golden brown.
Serve hot with fresh coconut chutney.

For me the biggest challenge in this recipe has always been to get the consistency of the batter right. It should flow easily enough off of a spoon but not drop too easy!(Now you may understand better the afore mentioned deliberation and doubts!?)

All in all it turned out just yummy. G, E n R all got their hands on a few bajos, before I had to pack it off for the pot luck.We had a great time with awesome friends and good food.
All is well. And that ends well.
Until another culinary muse, Bon Appetite.
 
Leave me a comment, send me a photo of the food you cooked. Tell me a recipe! jotismail@gmail.com
Click here to see the list of spices and powders used in my kitchen!
Sous Chef is now on Facebook!

 
You can also read my non-culinary ramblings here at Musings.
Musings on Facebook.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts