Deep fried collard greens in rice batter (AKA taikile dangara)



This I derived from an Indian Konkani delicacy 'Taikile Dangara' which essentially is a locally available greens deep fried.
So the substitution.
Collard greens I have learnt are good substitutions for spinach, kale, etc and vice versa.
Also greens are available in large quantities while I shop at the local farmers market.

What goes into it:
2 bunches of collard greens (without stem stubs) -chopped fine
1 cup white rice
1 cup toor dal ( split pigeon peas)
6 dried red chillies (roasted)
1/2 teaspoon tamarind paste
2 tbspn grated coconut
Salt n pepper to taste
Oil for deep frying

How I did it:
Soak rice and dal for atleast 2hrs. Then grind it with coconut, chillies and tamarind. The trick is to use as little water as possible to form a coarse paste.
Add salt and pepper as required.To this mix add the shredded greens to make the batter.
Make small balls with damp fingers and slightly flatten to form patties.
Heat oil in a frying pan and deep fry the patties till golden brown.

This is local delicacy served usually as a side at traditional meals. Mostly lunch.

In our house though we ate them with tea.

Tell me how you do yours.
Bon Appetite. 

Comments

  1. I absolutely luvvvvd it wen mom made it... been sooo long since i had one... I ve gotta place an order with mom... ;-) U ve set my mouth watering... parcel plessss! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts