Idlis- Steamed rice cakes.


Idlis are as quintessential to South Indian breakfasts as eggs or toast to continental.
So much so, that I never thought of blogging the recipe.
But on one foggy cold fall morning as we sat down for breafast , my simple idli platter looked so 'soul-foody' that I decided to click a photo of it.
And then, so,  this blog.




To each his own idli or so I say.Cause there is no one right way to do it. Heres what I have chalked down in my memory blog.
 
What goes into it:
2 cups raw white rice
1 cup urad- whole
2 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds.
Salt to taste.
 
How it comes to our table:
Wash and soak the rice and urad separately for atleast 4-5 hours.I soak a minimum of 6hours.
I have learnt to add 2 tsp of methi seeds to the bowl of Urad as it soaks. This Iam told has a few health benefits but I do it cause we have started to like the signature smell/taste these seeds impart to the batter. You can skip this if you please.
Wet grind the rice and urad (with methi seeds) separately to form a smooth paste. Mix in a big bowl. Add salt to taste.
Cover and let ferment overnight.Although there is no magic proportion to the amount of water added, I have learnt that it is better to leave the batter a little thicker when fermenting.
The next morning the batter should ideally be a little fluffy. Add a little water if needed to form a pancake like batter (only slightly thicker).
Grease the Idli trays and pour batter. Steam for 15mins. Switch off. Remove from tray and serve hot with sambaar and chutney.
A healthy, filling start to a great day!
 
PS: I had heard a lot of people vouch that a few tsps  of gingelly oil in the batter just before steaming makes the idlis fluffier. I did try this a couple times in winter when the batter was real flat. But didnt seem to help any! But might be a good tip to have up your sleeve!
 
Until another one, Bon Appetit.
 
 
Leave me a comment, send me a photo of the food you cooked. Tell me a recipe! jotismail@gmail.com
Click here to see the list of spices and powders used in my kitchen!
Sous Chef is now on Facebook!

 
You can also read my non-culinary ramblings here at Musings.
Musings on Facebook.


Comments

Popular Posts