Upkari / Talasane - Stir Fry...Konkani Style.

'Upkari' , 'Talasane' - essentially a stir fry , traditionally made with vegetables.
It is a side at meals with rice and gravy based curries.
There can be innumerable types and varieties as you can vary the vegetables as you like and deem possible!
The dressings vary a little but otherwise truly it is a simple recipe to follow.
While 'Upkari' usually has a dressings of mustard seeds and curry leaves, ' Talasane' adds a twist by using garlic for the dressing!

I will try and blog here as and when I make these traditional sides.

Mashingha sangha- Gulla talasane...drumsticks and brinjal stir fry:


What you need for it:

2 cups of 2" size pieces of drumsticks
2 cups of bite sized pieces of brinjal/eggplant
1 tbsp oil
4 cloves garlic- peeled and crushed
3 dry red chillies- chopped.

How to make it:
Heat the oil, add the garlic and sauté till fragrant. Add the chopped chillies and sauté some more.
Add the drumsticks, brinjal and salt to taste. Pour water to cover the vegetables. Cover and Cook till done.
Serve hot with traditional meals of rice and gravy.

Alternatively you can skip the garlic for a dressing of mustard seeds and curry leaves with the chillies!

Any which way you do yours, here's hoping it turns into as favorite a dish at your table as it is at ours!

Kukka (chinese potato) Upkari:

Fresh Kooka /chinese potatoes were cooked in my mothers kitchen when they were available.
It certainly was not something she stocked up as an essential like the big potatoes, onions or garlic.
So needless to add once I moved out of India, it was not one of the first things I searched for. My subconscious may not have registered it as an essential!

But what a pleasant surprise to see a pack of it in the frozen section of my favorite Indian Grocery!!
Also found out what its 'english name ' was! Makes easy reference to non-konkani friends and now in this blog!
So since then it is one of the few things I stock up in my freezer.
G is not a big fan. He says a potato is a potato is a potato!
But having grown up relishing my amma's 'kukka upkari' , I make this everytime I crave it! Which is more often than not!






What goes into it:
1 pack of frozen chinese potatoes -defreezed, washed, and cut into bite size
1 tbspn oil
1 tspn mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
3 large red dry chillies -slit
1/2 tspn asafoetida (Hing) powder
1 tbspn fresh grated coconut -for garnish
Salt to taste.





How to make it:
In a large pan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When they splutter de-stem and add the curry leaves with the asafoetida and chillies.
Saute and add the potatoes. Add salt and water (enough to cover the vegetable)  and cook covered until done.
Switch off, and add the coconut garnish on top.
Serve hot at traditional meals with rice and gravy.

Until next time,
Bon Appetite.


Leave me a comment, send me a photo of the food you cooked. Tell me a recipe! jotismail@gmail.com

Click here to see my list of spices and powders used in my kitchen!
Sous Chef is now on Facebook!

 
You can also read my non-culinary ramblings here at Musings.
Musings on facebook.

 
 

Comments

Popular Posts